2017 Jimmy Awards Opening Number
Including snippets from songs featured in current Broadway shows, the 74 participants of the National High School Musical Theater Awards make their Broadway debut in the Minskoff Theater in NYC. Tommy representative Max Pink shines in his solo moment in the song.
Overture is a participant in the National High School Musical Theater Awards (NHSMTA) program. Outstanding Lead Performer recipients are eligible to audition to be one of two participants, one actor & one actress, sent to New York City for nationals. The week-long experience includes rehearsals, master classes, private coaching and interviews with theater professionals leading up to the live awards show where the Jimmy™ Award for Best Performance by an Actor and Best Performance by an Actress are presented.
The National High School Musical Theatre Awards™ (the Jimmy® Awards) are a national celebration of outstanding student achievement, recognizing individual artistry in vocal, dance, and acting performance and elevating the importance of theatre arts education in schools. The Jimmy Awards are presented by The Broadway League Foundation.
2017 Jimmy Awards Medley #4 featuring 2017 Tommy representative Jessica Minter.
2017 Jimmy Awards Medley #3 featuring 2017 Tommy representative Max Pink.
JUN 18, 2018 – JUN 26, 2018| Minskoff Theatre | New York City, NY
- MON, MAY 28, 2018
- Promenade Hall | Overture Center for the Arts
Outstanding Lead Performer recipients are eligible to audition to be one of two participants, one actor & one actress, sent to New York City for nationals. The National High School Musical Theater Awards (NHSMTA) is a celebration of outstanding student achievement in high school musical theater. The week long experience includes rehearsals, master classes, private coaching and interviews with theater professionals leading up to the live awards show where the Jimmy™ Award for Best Performance by an Actor and Best Performance by an Actress are presented.
Students are eligible to audition if they:
- Receive an Outstanding Lead Performer Award this season.
- Are available to go to New York City JUN 18-26, 2018
- Are able to complete the additional NHSMTA requirements (see below).
There is no financial obligation for the students who are chosen to travel to nationals. All travel, accommodation, and food costs will be paid for by NHSMTA and Overture Center.
Students must audition in person. No video submissions will be considered.
For the audition, students are asked to prepare:
- 32-bar cut of a song from their performance this year
- 1 (full song) contrasting piece from musical theater genre (story songs recommended)
- 2 additional songs to sing (for possible call back)
- Students may be asked to stay for a call back audition and interview.
- Once the call backs are complete the reviewer panel will convene to choose the two representatives.
- The two representatives selected to attend Nationals will be notified after the call back that evening.
The following should be prepared and brought to the audition:
- Jump drive/cd/dvd with: Topic response video (see “Audition Info” button below)
- 3 photos of student in their production this year
- Completed Participation Packet for NHSMTA (available below)
- Current resume & headshot or photo
Interested students and directors should email Karra Beach at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
For information about NHSMTA, visit their website.
Overture Center is pleased to partner with Marcus Center for the Performing Arts in Milwaukee and The Grand Theater in Wausau.
Contact Programming and Community Engagement Manager Karra Beach