ACCESS THE ARTS FROM HOME
Though our building may be closed, Overture Center continues to bring the arts to you through the following collection of educational resources and entertainment.
On Demand Fun for Everyone
- The much-anticipated Jerry Awards 2019/20 program will be aired on SUN, JUN 21, at 7 PM via Facebook Live. The 90-minute show will feature video clips of musical theater performances, student and school awards, and special guests. You can watch the awards program here.
Voice Your Heart
- Show us your heart! Overture is a space for community stories and voices, and even though our doors are closed, we want to continue to be that place for you. We invite you to tell us where your heart is in this moment using art. Share your signs, songs, spoken word, poetry, essays/reflections, photos, doodles and drawings with us. Together, we can lift our voices in response and support. Submissions will be shared digitally or in a special Voice Your Heart gallery. Learn more here.
- Come visit outdoor murals around our building and on State Street. Overture has availed spots around our building for artists to create murals as part of the City and Madison Business Improvement District’s mural project to amplify artist voices in response to social injustice. Learn more.
Duck Soup Cinema
- Check out Wisconsin Public Television’s University Place feature on silent film organist and composer Jelani Eddington. In the episode, filmed in Capitol Theater, Eddington accompanies scenes from “The Flying Ace,“ a 1926 silent film with an all-African American cast. Watch the episode.
Our Resident Organizations
- Children’s Theater of Madison is online! Like CTM’s Facebook page to participate in FREE offerings from teaching artists!
- Experience Madison Symphony Orchestra’s April Showcase online.
- Forward Theater is hosting Tuesdays With Forward, a conversation with artists and arts leaders, live streaming each Tuesday at 7 PM on Facebook and YouTube . They also continue to release new episodes of their podcast, Theater Forward!
- Kanopy Dance Company is launching Dancing with Kanopy at Home, a virtual class program! Classes are available for all ages. Ongoing enrollment
- While we’re closed, the James Watrous Gallery is exploring ways to share our exhibitions and celebrate contemporary Wisconsin artists online. Follow them on Instagram for the latest updates and visit their website to experience their Digital Online Gallery.
- Join us the artists for a Virtual Reception for Environmental Art Exhibits on FRI, JUNE 26. You are welcome to mingle and ask questions, or just sit back and enjoy the conversation. Drop in any time 6 – 8 PM! Register here.
- Our Spring 2020 exhibits are available as a digital gallery!
- ClearCut – The Wages of Dominion was rescheduled as an online webinar. Watch here.
National Geographic Live
- Our friends at National Geographic Live created a special #stayathome experience as they went backstage with some of our favorite National Geographic explorers. View the series on their Facebook page.
- Destination Madison has a collection of virtual resources online including events, music, cocktail and cooking creations, shopping, activities for kids, exercise and more! Visit their website for more.
Ideas and Events for Parents and Caregivers
Do you miss Kids in the Rotunda? Good news! Kids in the Rotunda is going online with weekly art topics and educational resources. Children and their caregivers are invited to explore the arts through kid-friendly videos, history lessons, activities and interviews with artists. Visit the Kids in the Rotunda Facebook page to access the materials.
Lakeside Kids Performances
In addition to our online weekly art content, we are partnering with Monona Terrace’s Lakeside Kids series to provide activities and context around free online performances for kids. Learn more.
Did you miss any of the Lakeside Kids programs? View them online at your own pace here.
Our favorite Kids in the Rotunda performers are making the most of this time with new songs, daily and weekly livestreams and some teaching!
- Dandelion Artists, representing some big names in kids music, has compiled a site full of virtual resources offered by their artists.
- Kids in the Rotunda favorite David Landau is being silly at home with a livestream at 10 AM on weekdays.
- Future Hits offers a fun and (secretly) educational concert series, aptly named Jams.
- Ken Lonnquist is livestreaming a show every weekday at 10 AM featuring many of his classic kids songs.
- Laura Doherty livestreams kids shows on Tuesdays at 3 PM, Wednesdays at 10 AM and Fridays at 12 PM.
- Little Miss Ann offers livestream concerts on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 10 AM.
- Mad Science offers dozens of fun science activities to do at home.
- Magic Morgan and Liliana are teaching magic tricks from home.
- Stuart Stotts is premiering a song each Tuesday via livestream.
- Suzi Shelton has a daily livestream from her Brooklyn, New York, home at 4 PM CT.
- Zoozort Live Animal Programs is showing us what all the animals are up to, while staying safe at home.
- Overture’s newest community program pairs local singer-songwriters, new parents and parents-to-be to create personal lullabies for their children, in partnership with Harambee Village Doulas. Listen to their music on Soundcloud. View an online concert featuring lullabies from all over the world, including Madison here.
Check out our past livestreams to host your own Kids in the Rotunda!
Follow Kids in the Rotunda on Facebook for more educational resources
- Download the full PDF of our Coloring Book from Overture Center! Share your creations with us on our Facebook or Instagram! Don’t forget to tag us!
Tools and Lessons for Educators
- Through our OnStage student matinee series, we welcome students and their teachers to see favorite stories come to life on our stages. Although school now looks very different, we’re still here as a resource to make the most out of a good story. Here is a collection of resource guides for literature-based shows filled with discussion ideas, creative projects, art lessons and more we’ve used throughout the years to enhance the storytelling on our stages.
Content for Broadway Fans
- Enjoy a recording of a show with these free publicly available online materials and PBS’ Great Performances Collection.
- Check out Broadway Cares’ special encore series of recent star-studded performances from Broadway Backwards, where genders are swapped on famous show tunes.
- Groove to disco versions of Stephen Sondheim songs on Broadway Records.
- Take a virtual walk-through of the Harold Prince exhibit at Lincoln Center.
- Andrew Lloyd Webber’s YouTube platform, called The Shows Must Go On, features a full length musical each Friday for free.
- Broadway On Demand (BOD) is a gathering place for both theatre lovers and theatre makers to celebrate, commune and share their passion for the form. Features performances, masterclasses, live events and more.
Resources for Artists
- Voice Your Heart – We invite you to tell us where your heart is in this moment using art. Share your signs, songs, spoken words, poetry, doodles and drawings with us. Submissions will be shared digitally or in a special Voice Your Heart gallery.
- Arts Wisconsin’s Information and Resources for the Creative Sector re COVID-19.
- Explore these low-cost or free options to livestream your work.
- Join the Arts Education Roundtable Madison Facebook Group for updates and networking related to Arts Education.
- Be a part of the new teaching artist roster we are developing as part of Any Given Child Madison. More info on the call for teaching artists is here.
- Get up-to-the-minute updates about arts and culture from the Americans for the Arts’ Resource Page.
- Find out about the latest resources available to freelance, independent artists.
- Try taking free daily Broadway Dreams Live Lessons for aspiring student actors, singers and dancers with some accomplished Broadway-caliber talent from The Broadway Dreams Foundation.
- Find out about resources and opportunities for artists through Dane Arts like the DANG! (Dane Arts Need Grant) Grant program.
- Tickets & Events ▼
- Galleries ▼
- Rent Our Spaces ▼
- Support ▼
- About ▼
Contact us anytime!