2018 Jimmy Awards Opening Number
Overture is a participant in the National High School Musical Theater Awards (NHSMTA) program. Outstanding Lead Performer recipients are eligible to audition to be one of two participants, one actor & one actress, sent to New York City for nationals. The week-long experience includes rehearsals, master classes, private coaching and interviews with theater professionals leading up to the live awards show where the Jimmy™ Award for Best Performance by an Actor and Best Performance by an Actress are presented.
The National High School Musical Theatre Awards™ (the Jimmy® Awards) are a national celebration of outstanding student achievement, recognizing individual artistry in vocal, dance, and acting performance and elevating the importance of theatre arts education in schools. The Jimmy Awards are presented by The Broadway League Foundation.
Overture Center will host a workshop for students interested in auditioning for The Jimmy Awards. Ensemble Director, Gail Becker will meet with interested students to listen to students, provide feedback and advice on song selection. If interested, click the button below to register.
2019 Jimmy Awards – Late June, 2019 | Minskoff Theatre | New York City, NY
- MON, MAY 27, 2019
- Overture Center for the Arts
Outstanding Lead Performer recipients are eligible to audition to be one of two participants, one actor & one actress, sent to New York City for nationals. The National High School Musical Theater Awards (NHSMTA) is a celebration of outstanding student achievement in high school musical theater. The week long experience includes rehearsals, master classes, private coaching and interviews with theater professionals leading up to the live awards show where the Jimmy™ Award for Best Performance by an Actor and Best Performance by an Actress are presented.
Students are eligible to audition if they:
- Receive an Outstanding Lead Performer Award this season.
- Are Available to go to New York City at the end of June (dates to be announced in early 2019)
- Are able to complete the additional NHSMTA requirements (see below).
There is no financial obligation for the students who are chosen to travel to nationals. All travel, accommodation, and food costs will be paid for by NHSMTA and Overture Center.
Audition registration will begin in May after the 2019 Jerry Award Recipients are announced.
Students must audition in person. No video submissions will be considered.
For the audition, students are asked to prepare:
- 32-bar cut of a song from their performance this year
- 1 (full song) contrasting piece from musical theater genre (story songs recommended)
- 2 additional songs to sing (for possible call back)
- Students may be asked to stay for a call back audition and interview.
- Once the call backs are complete the reviewer panel will convene to choose the two representatives.
- The two representatives selected to attend Nationals will be notified after the call back that evening.
The following should be prepared and brought to the audition:
- Jump drive/cd/dvd with: Topic response video (see “Audition Info” button below)
- 3 photos of student in their production this year
- Completed Participation Packet for NHSMTA (available below)
- Current resume & headshot or photo
Interested students and directors should email Karra Beach at email@example.com with any questions.
For information about NHSMTA, visit their website.
Overture Center is pleased to partner with Marcus Center for the Performing Arts in Milwaukee, The Grand Theater in Wausau and Viterbo University.
Contact Programming and Community Engagement Manager Karra Beach