2018 Jimmy Awards Opening Number
Overture is a participant in the National High School Musical Theater Awards (NHSMTA) program. Outstanding Lead Performer recipients are eligible to audition to be one of two participants, one actor & one actress, sent to New York City for nationals. The week-long experience includes rehearsals, master classes, private coaching and interviews with theater professionals leading up to the live awards show where the Jimmy™ Award for Best Performance by an Actor and Best Performance by an Actress are presented.
The National High School Musical Theatre Awards™ (the Jimmy® Awards) are a national celebration of outstanding student achievement, recognizing individual artistry in vocal, dance, and acting performance and elevating the importance of theatre arts education in schools. The Jimmy Awards are presented by The Broadway League Foundation.
2020 Jimmy Awards – TBA | New York City, NY
- TBA – MAY 2020
- Overture Center for the Arts
Outstanding Lead Performer recipients are eligible to audition to be one of two participants, one actor & one actress, sent to New York City for nationals. The National High School Musical Theater Awards (NHSMTA) is a celebration of outstanding student achievement in high school musical theater. The week long experience includes rehearsals, master classes, private coaching and interviews with theater professionals leading up to the live awards show where the Jimmy™ Award for Best Performance by an Actor and Best Performance by an Actress are presented.
Students are eligible to audition if they:
- Receive an Outstanding Lead Performer Award this season.
- Are available to go to New York City June 2020 – Official Dates TBA
- Are able to complete the additional NHSMTA requirements (see below).
There is no financial obligation for the students who are chosen to travel to nationals. All travel, accommodation, and food costs will be paid for by NHSMTA and Overture Center.
Audition registration will begin in May after the 2020 Jerry Award Recipients are announced.
Students must audition in person. No video submissions will be considered.
For the audition, students are asked to prepare:
- 32-bar cut of a song from their performance this year
- 1 (full song) contrasting piece from musical theater genre (story songs recommended)
- 2 or 3 additional songs to sing (for possible call back)
- If students have a book with their known repertoire it is recommended they bring it to the audition. This is not mandatory.
The Jimmy Awards has a suggested LIBRARY OF APPROVED SOLO SONG SELECTIONS for students to review. Students are not limited to what is on the approved list. Songs from shows that have been on Broadway can be submitted for approval.
- Students will be asked to sing their 32-bar cut, and contrasting piece (full song). Once all students have sung, the reviewing team will convene and some students will be asked to stay for a call back audition and interview.
- At call backs students will be asked to sing at least one number. The purpose of multiple pieces is to get a sense of the performer’s skills in telling a story through song.
- Once the call backs are complete the reviewer panel will convene to choose the two representatives. Once selected, the group of students will be informed which two students were selected.
The following should be prepared and brought to the audition:
- Jump drive/cd/dvd with: Topic response video
- 3 photos of student in their production this year
- Completed Participation Packet for NHSMTA (available below)
- Current resume & headshot or photo (see Participation Packet for resume format example!)
Interested students and directors should email Karra Beach at email@example.com with any questions.
For information about NHSMTA, visit their website.
Overture Center is pleased to partner with Marcus Performing Arts Center, The Grand Theater, Viterbo University and Wisconsin Public Television.
Contact Programming and Community Engagement Manager Karra Beach