Changing Learning Through the Arts
We believe everyone should have opportunities to express themselves through the arts—a movement that starts with our formal and non-formal educators. Learning through the arts encourages personal development and student achievement and provides opportunities to cultivate and grow talents and appreciation for the arts. This belief fuels our dedication to the educators that make arts experiences possible for students. Find out more about our resources and programs for educators below:
Virtual Field Trips
- In response to COVID-19, Overture Center for the Arts is launching virtual arts field trips for the 2020-21 academic year led by experienced professional artists from our community. Professional artists and Overture education staff will provide a kaleidoscope of demonstrations, discussions and mini-performances to meet your curricular goals around a theme of your choice. A stipend is available for qualifying schools.
Arts Education Residencies
- Overture Center for the Arts is proud to present arts programs led by trained and experienced professional artists in Literary Arts, Visual Arts, Drama/Theatre, Dance and Music available for both classroom and community education settings. Sessions are designed for six visits with the artists but are adjustable to fit your needs. A stipend is available for qualifying schools. In person residencies are not available at this time. If you are interested in a particular residency virtually please contact us.
Professional Development Workshops
- Experts in arts-integration strategies provide educators with tools and support to transform their classrooms. For the most impact, we suggest booking these for teaching teams or a school-wide approach but they also available for community and district settings. In person workshops are not available at this time. If you are interested in a particular workshop virtually please contact us.
Special performances and discounts for students and educators
- OnStage Student Field Trip Performances – subsidies available for qualifying schools and resource guides available for each show. See the season at a glance:
- Student and Educator Broadway Group Tickets (prices range from $22.50/student).
- Through our OnStage student matinee series, we welcome students and their teachers to see favorite stories come to life on our stages. Although school now looks very different, we’re still here as a resource to make the most out of a good story. Here is a collection of resource guides for literature-based shows filled with discussion ideas, creative projects, art lessons and more we’ve used throughout the years to enhance the storytelling on our stages.
Performance opportunities for students
- Jerry Awards and Ensemble – encouraging, recognizing and honoring excellence in high school musical theater.
- Disney Musicals in Schools – working to create sustainable musical theater in programs in elementary schools.
Networking and resource events
- Arts Education Roundtable – networking and professional development opportunities for Madison area arts and culture organizations.